Author Topic: Jan's "writing" on Carnival of Sound  (Read 1923 times)

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Jan's "writing" on Carnival of Sound
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
Hey, so I was reading Mark Thomas Passmore's book and Jan & Dean, and it makes it sound as though Jan didn't really have much of anything to do with the writing of "Hawaii" and "Fan Tan". I'm pretty sure he said "Hawaii" was music by Jill Gibson and basically lyrics by Roger Christian. And for "Fan Tan" he basically said that the music was by Don Altfeld and Jill Gibson with lyrics by Jan and Roger Christian. However, if Jan couldn't really communicate well, how did he contribute lyrics?

I'm hoping that there was true hands on involvement from Jan, because I really like those two songs, and I'd be disappointed his name was just on the credits to help him feel better.

And on a different issue, I know a backing track was recorded for "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" before the accident, but anyways, were the melody and lyrics for the song conceived before or after the accident? Either way, it totally sounds like a hit, even today. It's a shame that one wasn't released back in '68.

Mark A. Moore

Re: Jan's "writing" on Carnival of Sound
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

The Passmore book is bogus on a number of fronts. Riddled with factual errors.

Jan's contributions were primarily melody, music, and arrangement. Lyrical ideas were fleshed out by Roger Christian and others.

Jill Gibson contributed to melody and lyrics. Don Altfeld was primarily a lyricist on Jan's compositions.

In many ways, that's how it was before the accident. But more pronounced after the accident.

The post-accident arranging consultations Jan had with Bill Stafford, George Tipton, and others are well documented. And they'll be chronicled in the JB/J&D Sessionography book project.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
The Passmore book is bogus on a number of fronts. Riddled with factual errors.

Mark, this is why I'm really hoping your sessionography and biography will come out soon. All there is out there is a lot of bogus information with a few truths. The record needs to be set straight. I know you are busy, but do you have a timeline for these projects to finish?

Thanks Mark! Keep up the good work.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »

I'm working to get the Sessionography out later this year.