Author Topic: looking for Jan and Dean Cd's (one way 2fers)  (Read 11077 times)

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
looking for Jan and Dean Cd's (one way 2fers)
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
hi all

looking for a couple of missing J&D cd's  for my collection.  Anyone holding extras or no a good source?  I realise that they are oop.

Mark A. Moore

Re: looking for Jan and Dean Cd's (one way 2fers)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
hi all

looking for a couple of missing J&D cd's  for my collection.  Anyone holding extras or no a good source?  I realise that they are oop.

You can often find them on e-Bay for a good price.

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 07:12:41 PM »
"The Beat Goes On label" remasters as good as the "One Way Label" ones?
 :o

King Fred II

• Arwin
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-movies (including J&D and Beach Boys covers)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 02:34:53 AM »
I wouldn't recommend Ebay to anyone; I know about some very dirty tricks they play >:(

rockngrann

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »
I wouldn't recommend Ebay to anyone; I know about some very dirty tricks they play >:(

Guess I've been lucky. I've used e-bay for more than 10 years with no real problems.   I've bought several Jan & Dean items there.

King Fred II

• Arwin
    • View Profile
    • Youtube-movies (including J&D and Beach Boys covers)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »

Guess I've been lucky. I've used e-bay for more than 10 years with no real problems.   I've bought several Jan & Dean items there.
Maybe that's the difference between the American Ebay and the European versions. When Ebay took over Ibazar, the first thing they did was exclude some users, sometimes for the wrong reason. Then they said: if you think we shouldn't exclude you, write to this email... When I did, my mail returned as undeliverable. So we were not given any possibility to defend ourselves. Well, in that case: screw Ebay! There are more (and better) sites to sell your goods.

MichaelB

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
Individual sellers on Amazon.com are a good source.  The prices have really come down from what they were before.  There are also a lot on Ebay right now.

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:45:08 AM »
Amazon.com also sells the twofers.

scooby1970

• Doré
  • Jan & Dean Researcher & Historian
    • View Profile
    • Jan & Dean Site
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:21:44 AM »
The European version of eBay, especially the UK section has never caused me any problems, and is a great place to find Jan & Dean bargains. I also find shops such as play.com and cdwow have a great selection of Jan & Dean goodies.

:) Mark

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
I think the one-way two-fers are the best reproductions, in terms of the original stereo mixes.

But I don't like the odd pairings. I wish they had paired them sequencially. Never understood the pairings.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »
I wish some of the albums sounded better.

It's good to have the original LP mix of "Folk 'n Roll" but the EMI "All The Hits..." has wonderful remixes of several of the "Folk 'n Roll" tracks and really show off the incredible productions some of these songs are.

To me, the "Meet Batman" album sounded kind of flat on One Way.  It's stereo but there's something missing in the sound.

The C5 CD's are worth hunting down.  I think they sound better than the One-Way counterparts (not giving up my Hal Blaine autographed C5 "Dead Man's Curve/New Girl..." CD   :) ).

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
The C5 releases ARE good.

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »
Are all of Jan & Dean's Liberty releases on C5 also?  I've only been able to find the C5 Deadman's Curve/New Girl In School.  Someone besides One Way has put out the Ride the Wild Surf album on CD--a friend of mine taped it for me about 15 years ago and I noticed a difference when I got the One Way version of it last year.  One Way cut off the very end of "The Submarine Races" where Jan says "I'm floored." 

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:15:43 PM »
I have the C5 re-issue of Drag City . . . excellent sound quality.

The Ride the Wild Surf and Little Old Lady albums were re-issued as a two-fer by EMI back in '92. These featured stereo re-mixes by Ron Furmanek and Kevin Reeves . . . with liner notes by pop maven Dawn Eden.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »
The EMI two-fer features remixes, an alternate version of "Little Old Lady..." and extended fade outs.  Great CD and great sound (I wish EMI had done the rest of the Jan & Dean catalog).

C5 CDs that I have and know of:

Take Linda Surfing
Surf City And....
Drag City
Dead Man's Curve...
Ride The Wild Surf

All are excellent sounding but have no bonus tracks.