Author Topic: Sidewalk Surfin' CD  (Read 4753 times)

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Sidewalk Surfin' CD
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
Hey, sorry for the new threads I keep posting, but I figured if anybody would know Jan and Dean info, it'd be you guys.

Anyways, I was wondering where the tracks on the  Sidewalk Surfin' CD come from. There's not really any info on where the tracks on this album come from. So anyways, I'm pretty sure this was released in 1998 on Fireball Records. Anyways, I purchased it cuz it is one of the few places that have a bunch of Jan's '70s recordings all together on CD. So I know where those tracks are from.

However, it's the rest of the material that confuses me. The first ten songs on the first disc are studio recordings, with 11 through 13 live recordings. Where are these recordings from? To start off disc two, there seems to be some kind of studio outtakes of some of their hits. Then of course after those are done comes the '70s material.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:11:57 PM by sweetdudejim »

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Sidewalk Surfin' CD
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:57 PM »
You should put the tunes on Youtube then we could hear them . That way we could help. Plus it'd be cool to hear .

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
You should put the tunes on Youtube then we could hear them . That way we could help. Plus it'd be cool to hear .

Hey, 2dean2, I'm pretty sure most of this stuff is already on YouTube. But anyways, I'm pretty sure there is a CD set out there called Dead Man's Curve that has like the exact same track listing. Here's a review and sound samples of that album on AllMusic. Same exact tracklisting as Sidewalk Surfin'.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/dead-mans-curve-mw0000383048

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »

This is pretty much a bootleg . . .

Disc One:

Tracks 1-10 are re-recordings by Dean and Papa . . . originally released on K-Tel's The Jan & Dean Story in 1977. No participation by Jan.

Tracks 11-13 are from Jan & Dean's California Special, which aired on TV in 1979. Jan & Dean with Papa. Glen Campbell guested with the band. Narrated by Casey Kasem. Surfing footage by Dale Davis. Also featured the "Surf City" segment from Jan & Dean's unreleased Surf Scene TV pilot from 1963. Additional guests included Richard Hatch and Bruce Davison, who played Jan & Dean in the 1978 film Deadman's Curve.

Disc Two:

Tracks 1-5 are outtakes, backing tracks, or aternate versions of original J&D material.

Tracks 6-12 are from Jan Berry's 1970s releases on the Ode and A&M labels. "Don't You Just Know It" was a duet with Brian Wilson. "Fun City" featured both Jan & Dean and was released as Jan & Dean. "Skateboard Surfin' USA (Sidewalk Surfin' with Me)" featured a guest appearance by Dean Torrence on lead falsetto, but was a Jan Berry solo release. All others were Jan Berry solo material.

Track 13 is a 1964 studio outtake from the "Little Old Lady" sessions, featuring experimental falsetto parts by Dean. These were never used. The lead falsetto on the released version was sung by Phil Sloan.

Tracks 14-15 are 1970s Jan Berry solo material.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
I bought a copy from a local record / CD store (now defunct) - here in the UK. It would be interesting to know how this material found its way onto a CD that was available so openly. A better quality packaging than most bootlegs.

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
You say it's "pretty much" a bootleg. But it has a barcode on it, and pretty much all the material is officially released beforehand. Did they get the rights to this material? It seems like this collection is legitimate. Maybe I'm wrong though, as obviously I'm not as well versed in the world of Jan & Dean as you are, Mark.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »
Well My Landy Youtube dont mind . The more the better.

sweetdudejim

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »

This is pretty much a bootleg . . .

Disc One:

Tracks 1-10 are re-recordings by Dean and Papa . . . originally released on K-Tel's The Jan & Dean Story in 1977. No participation by Jan.

Tracks 11-13 are from Jan & Dean's California Special, which aired on TV in 1979. Jan & Dean with Papa. Glen Campbell guested with the band. Narrated by Casey Kasem. Surfing footage by Dale Davis. Also featured the "Surf City" segment from Jan & Dean's unreleased Surf Scene TV pilot from 1963. Additional guests included Richard Hatch and Bruce Davison, who played Jan & Dean in the 1978 film Deadman's Curve.

Disc Two:

Tracks 1-5 are outtakes, backing tracks, or aternate versions of original J&D material.

Tracks 6-12 are from Jan Berry's 1970s releases on the Ode and A&M labels. "Don't You Just Know It" was a duet with Brian Wilson. "Fun City" featured both Jan & Dean and was released as Jan & Dean. "Skateboard Surfin' USA (Sidewalk Surfin' with Me)" featured a guest appearance by Dean Torrence on lead falsetto, but was a Jan Berry solo release. All others were Jan Berry solo material.

Track 13 is a 1964 studio outtake from the "Little Old Lady" sessions, featuring experimental falsetto parts by Dean. These were never used. The lead falsetto on the released version was sung by Phil Sloan.

Tracks 14-15 are 1970s Jan Berry solo material.

Hey Mark, is there any legitimate CDs out there with stuff like "Fun City", "Totally Wild", and any of the others? I know Dean's anthology has "Ocean Park Angel", but that's about it. Anybody know? I'd like to have a copy of those songs on a legitimate CD.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 01:39:38 AM »

There's a digital release that's official . . . K-Tel.

FUN CITY