Author Topic: Carnival of Sound Cover Design  (Read 2904 times)

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
Carnival of Sound Cover Design
« on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Hello, was wondering if there was an original cover to the album, or did Dean do this just a while back.
Fantastic artwork as usual from Mr. Torrence

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Re: Carnival of Sound Cover Design
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
There was no original cover. It's a new design by Dean.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
Hello, was wondering if there was an original cover to the album, or did Dean do this just a while back.
Fantastic artwork as usual from Mr. Torrence
*This is such a good question and i so agree with you, Joe. 

ONLY wish they'd have used MUCH more of the pictures Dean talks about in the Spring 2010 issue of "Beach Boys Fan Club News Sheet" Vol. XXXIII No. 1

Quote:
Dean says "I was lucky enough to be contacted by Rhino and they wanted me to do the packaging, so at least I have something tangible that I contributed to this project.  And I did all the graphic stuff.  And, I gave them a bunch of pictures of Jan that I personally took that nobody has ever seen before" 

This is from the interview in that issue which took place February 4, 2010, before a Surf City Allstars show...interview between Dean and BBFC president Alice. 

.... pictures Dean took of Jan that he shared for this project!!?... my goodness sakes!!...I want Rhino to have used them ALL !!  WHAT have we missed?  (priceless gems)

The Surfer Joe

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:12 AM »
..A good question ?? seems like everyone knew but me :)
Glad Rhino had Dean put His Talents to work & don't know if anyone else could have captured that Perfect Touch.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 04:38:57 AM »
Glad Rhino had Dean put His Talents to work & don't know if anyone else could have captured that Perfect Touch.
  YES!  Great question....why do you think everyone knew, Joe?  I didn't...it is so neat to know that Dean is the first to have put a cover on it...

And (as Jason--1Jay1--would say) well said, too, Joe...."no one else could have captured that Perfect Touch."

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:07:16 AM »

There are four great images from Dean's collection in the packaging — on the booklet's front cover, rear cover, page 13, and page 15. But both of the booklet's cover photos were not date-appropriate for "Carnival."

I worked closely with the producer on this project, and the word was that Rhino was NOT given full access to Dean's photo collection. It didn't happen. They wanted more.

In fact, Dean chose an inappropriate image for the front cover album art — the picture of J&D standing with the treble clef from '63.

That didn't fly, so the producer opted for a different photo for the cover . . . not from Dean.

All in all, the photo from Dean on page 15 . . . J&D wearing their Batman pendants, with the girls in the studio . . . is worth the price of admission. Recording for some of the songs that ended up on "Carnival of Sound" had already begun by that time. I don't know who the photographer was, but it's a great shot.

Photos aside, I'm really proud of Dean's artwork on the front and back covers. The "Jan & Dean" hand lettering is vintage Kittyhawk, and Dean really took some time and care to pull that off.

M.