Author Topic: Compilations  (Read 2458 times)

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Compilations
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:53:16 AM »
What are people's opinions on the various compilations available? I get the impression the Complete Liberty Singles is generally held to be the best (am planning to get it!), but what are thoughts on the remixed versions on ALL THE HITS FROM SURF CITY TO DRAG CITY and SURF CITY: THE BEST OF JAN & DEAN (I do have a bit of a soft spot for the latter, as it is the record which rekindled my interest in J&D in the early '90s!).

wintersdawn

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: Compilations
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »
I just got 'All the Hits from Surf City to Drag City' and the songs sound great to me!  I know some might not like it if they are remixed but I own some of the C5 CD's and compared to them it's certainly hasn't taken anything away.  I also like the remastered sound, Surf City sounds the clearest and strongest I have heard it so far.

I also like the packaging in a 'fat box' old style double CD case, I think mine is an older version as I expect the newer ones come in a jewel case that holds 2 cd's.  I always find these a bit fiddly and feels like the inner tray is going to come away!  I also like this compilation as it has my favourite tracks from Folk'n'Roll. 

Definitely recommended.

wintersdawn

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Is the latter compilation you mentioned this one?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 11:35:49 AM by wintersdawn »

Salzburg Surf Scene

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »
Is the latter compilation you mentioned this one?

Yes, thats the one. I have it on cassette somewhere! (I have the All the Hits on CD). Its an interesting question as to whether the various remixes enhance the original recordings, or whether they might obscure/detract from Jan's original vision.