Author Topic: Youtube-thread  (Read 19180 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube-thread
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:32:01 AM »
I enjoyed the interview with Mike and Dean, but at times it was aggrevating too. Dean never seemed to give a straight answer. I've always enjoyed Dean's sense of humor, but sometimes it would be nice for him to answer the question.
There was a moment when Tush was asking who was first and when it started.Mike was actually answering for Dean by saying the Beach Boys listened to J&D while in high school. I wish Dean would have ellaborated on Jennie Lee and Baby Talk and how that phase really kicked off the West Coast Sound. Later, Tush asked Dean about Jan, Dean just went off on something else. Lost oppurtunities. One other interesting note. Mike, in this interview, gave Brian all the credit for the music. Later years, he seemed to change his tune a little. Something must have happened later on that hurt Mike and Brian's relationship.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
I may be wrong,but a some time i think mike had to sue brian for royalities for which he felt he was owed,i m sure he said the record company said if he wanted the money then the only way was to sue brian,it wasn t personnel,however this may have been the cause,

both brian and mike have respect for each other lets hope one day the remaining beachboys record a new album together,you never know david marks may be invited after all he was on the first Album,

Rocker

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »
Mike Love and Dean Torrence - Da Doo Ron Ron

Mike and Dean - Da Doo Ron Ron

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
Dean didn't have a microphone.  Lip-syncing makes for some strange performances.  :)

Rocker

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »
Jan&Dean's California special
Introduction by Glenn Campbell:

Jan and Dean's Califorina Special

Little old Lady 1984 Rock Rolls:

Jan and Dean Little Old Lady from Pasadena

Surf city from the same show:

Jan and Dean Surf City

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
 :D  What a GREAT thread....thank you for putting all these videos up!!
From the top...

Numbers:  1, 3, 4, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14....show what I think the movie about Jan and Dean never fully got across....just how much fun Jan and Dean really did have....it trys so hard to get across Jan's seriousness....but in doing so....alot of what really was Jan and Dean was lost.

That is why it was probably very true that they were the "clown princes" of rock and roll....we get to see the "masters at work" like 2Dean2 said, in these cool videos....there are others too.

Jan and Dean themselves cracked up when talking about the time which is shown in "Aloha a go go 'You really know how to hurt a guy ' "  VIDEO #3 on this thread.....

at a city once....Dean saying to Jan..."you know where I got that from?"  (looking at his watch during a concert)..."from when Jan pulled out the pocket watch....and then proceeded to knock over the tiki light!!" ....now this had them laughing ....talking about it...and made Jan remember that pocket watch too.  I then really wanted to see the video...Dean said it was out there...and here it is!  Thank you for putting it up.

How I wish, also, to see the full concert from the tv pilot...(the whole tv pilot shows their humor and lets us enjoy it)....AND video of the "Filet of Sole" concert.  PLEASE!

The early pieces of footage remind us of their earliest songs which I find how very good their voices sounded when they strictly harmonized together... what a wide range of music they gave us. 

I am very partial to the 1984 pieces....and appreciate those videos so much...being able to see Jan and Dean in all the stages of their career...each representing an important part....i feel the music did not take center stage in the Phase II.....something else came across even greater....

Regarding JDman's thought on the Mike and Dean one...I certainly agree with the frustration....and caught how when asked of Dean, how Jan was doing....it was passed by.... i guess that there may have been uncomfortableness playing a role in Dean's way of dealing with this interview.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:38:49 PM by maryw7 »

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
Whoops!

forgot to mention about the "California Special" piece with Glen's intro....just way too cool, since he was such a part of their music.... LOVE it!  And also, when Richard Hatch and Bruce Davison came up in a while and joined them onstage to sing....oh so special! 

(and now you know why I was off this board for such a while....i can't help myself from the effort I put into my writings....I must have rewrote my previous post five, six, seven times!) 

Well....youngest is off to college now...so much more time.

...oh well

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 01:52:35 PM »
Okay....anyone want to see a very newer Youtube that just got put on a few days ago?  It's very special...i have never seen the show before....and it is CLEAR as can be:  (looks like around 1987...ya got Randell, Chris Farmer, Gary, ...Help! ...is that John Cowsill on drums? and is that Phil? or who on guitar next to Dean?--thanks)

JAN AND DEAN - TOMMY JAMES - GRASSROOTS

I don't think too many people have found it yet.  It went up November 21. 

Rocker

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:09 AM »

Rocker

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »
Okay....anyone want to see a very newer Youtube that just got put on a few days ago?  It's very special...i have never seen the show before....and it is CLEAR as can be:  (looks like around 1987...ya got Randell, Chris Farmer, Gary, ...Help! ...is that John Cowsill on drums? and is that Phil? or who on guitar next to Dean?--thanks)

JAN AND DEAN - TOMMY JAMES - GRASSROOTS

I don't think too many people have found it yet.  It went up November 21.

Thanks for posting ! That was very good !

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »
Thank you for the "Christmas" Jan & Dean video Rocker....love them doing "Frosty" much

(and you're welcome for the other video)

This is one of the #1 threads on here for me. 

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »
Well Salzburg.....what can i say...but thanks for creating these Youtubes and posting them here.  Mighty fine of ya....mighty fine.     :)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 05:15:37 AM »
The background track for Restless Surfer is great! I wasn't sure if that was Jan. I heard it may have been Gary Zeckley. Sure sounds like Jan's work to me. Thanks for posting.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »