Author Topic: Jan's voice, post-accident  (Read 7531 times)

Relx1

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Jan's voice, post-accident
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I was wondering about the changes in Jan's post-accident voice during the course of the 1970s. If you listen to his early 70s stuff--for example, Mother Earth and Tinsel Town--his voice, while clearly affected by the brain damage, still has many similarities to his pre-accident voice. In other words, it still sounds like Jan. He would also try--and sometimes hit--all these long, high notes, as if he were really pushing his range.

However, by the late 1970s, his voice had changed. He developed this nasally, deeper tone, and, to be honest, sounded much more "brain damaged" than he had in the early to mid-70s. For the most part, his live singing is not good from the late 70s on, and while he sounds much better in the studio, that deep, nasal tone remained until he died.

Was all this the result of an intentional change in the way he sung? Maybe it allowed him to sing more quickly? As a possibly related example, in the 1970s, he used to walk very slowly, dragging his right leg along. By the 1990s, however, he was able to walk much more quickly, but he had to contort his body in a much more noticeable way in order to do so.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Jan's voice, post-accident
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
Vocally, I noticed that as well. He sounded pretty good on those mid 70s songs. I'm sure they did some touching up in the studio. His live performances were on and off in my opinion. He had his good days and bad days. Maybe that had to do with drugs.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
Listen to the vocal "La, La, La" on "Laurel And Hardy" on Carnival Of Sound.  Remarkable!  Sounds like the same Jan, if a bit unsteady.  I wish Jan had contributed more to the vocals or recorded more demos with just the "La, La".

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
"The live at Tiffanys" cd,his voice sound really like before the accident,and is a great cd to have in your collection,if nobody knows about this album,its jan first solo performance live on a cd,and it was really a private show with  close friends and family incase there were problems,to me it was great therapy for jan,and this was recorded,he made a couple of mistakes, the band did a great  job to make jan feel confortable,he did choose some great musician to work with,

August 1977 jan was ready for his comeback this album is it??
                             Sit down and enjoy the show

Here are the tracks in order     * Aloha band solo

1 Intrunmental *
2 I'm in you     * peter frampton song
3 The band introduces jan and starts off with surf city,
4 jenny lee
5 side walk surfin
6 Honolulu
7 Hide your love away
8 Little Queenie

Second half of the show
9 Highway Song *
10 Little old lady from pasadena 
11 Linda
12 Sunshine (john denver song)
13 Thats the way it is
14 deadmans curve
15 Little Queenie

And jan does intorduces the songs and chats inbetween them,i love the sunshine song one of my fav non jan and dean material,the sidewalk surfin version is the one with the words from the skateboard surfin usa,as around this time jan was working on this as a future release,as dean had the jan and dean version released without jans vocals (1975),this song was a stamment to dean that jan could also release a updated version on his own,and best of all "Hide your love away",which did become a part of the jan and dean set during the phase II,theres 2 versions of "little queenie",one to end each half of the show,and also "thats the way it is" jan berry solo songs,i haven t heard "thats the way it" is performed live on any other cd/album so this is a real treat for us jan berry fans

Lets here your views if you have this cd from the collectors series Vol 13

Relx1

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »
I do own this CD, and yes, it is one of my prime examples of the changes in Jan's voice over the course of the 1970s. His singing here is much clearer and stronger, and sounds much like it did pre-accident.

If you listen to this video, which I believe is from their Midnight Special appearance in 1979, Jan's voice, while strong, has already acquired that nasally tone I was talking about:
Jan and Dean with Papa Doo Run Run

I wonder if the constant touring he did starting in the late 1970s was the culprit for the decline in the quality of his voice? By the time of the 1981 One Summer Night Live record, his voice sounds weak. And while you could blame the drugs he was doing at the time for some of that, in the 1980s and 1990s, when he was clean, his voice didn't really sound much better. As I said, it is mainly that nasally tone, which he didn't have in the early to mid-70s.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
It could be the Mic's they were using. A few years ago I met a guy who said he knew Jan's brother . The one who had the cartage co. I dont remember his name but his background was music mostly the sound side . Anyway I mentioned that Mike Loves voice was "Naslly" H e said it was due to the cheap mic's  they used . When they were big the mic's were the best costing in the thousands . That could be the reason .

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »
I wonder if it isn't a case of trying to sing too hard.  On the Midnight Special clip Jan's voice sounds pretty good with decent phrasing but at some points the band starts to drown him out resulting in Jan having to force the vocals louder -- and that's when his vocals have trouble.  Could it be that those mixing the concerts deliberately mixed Jan's vocal lower to cover possible mistakes and Jan (experienced producer), hearing his vocal as being too low, compensated by singing too hard?

Perhaps the touring and playing live (with much louder equipment than what was used in the early/mid 60's) damaged the voice that was left after the accident.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »
Re: "Live At Tiffany's"

It's a shame the mix isn't better (still stereo though) and if it is representative of the mixing done during the concerts (phase 2), it sort of underlines the issue of burying Jan's vocals (although the vocals are reasonably clear in this recording).  The instruments are still too loud as are some of the backing vocals.

To the recording's credit, at this point, Jan probably wasn't sick to death of singing the same songs over and over, so he sings the familiar hits pretty faithfully.  "Sunshine" does work very well for Jan.  Throughout the recording there are stretches that are absolutely incredible.

At this point, I wish Jan had gone back to "Carnival Of Sound" and attempted recording his own vocals to the already completed backing tracks.  It could have been glorious and untarnished by 70's pop recording and instrument playing styles.

Just an opinion.

2dean2

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
I know from seeing J&D in concert a bunch of times . They had Jan's mic lower than the others . You could hear the volume difference during the " Jan's mic 1,2 1,2 " Deans mic 1,2 1,2 "......

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
About the carinval of sounds and jan finishing the vocal off,in my colection i have a track list of a future album, jan was gonna have released and i know my mind was one of the tracks,so i did wonder if there is a version out there with jans voice on it,I ll have to have a look and get back to you with the other tracks,as all my stuff is now locked away,It may have been the Album for A & M,during the 70's,

Out of all the tracks i m sure jan would have recorded"laurel and hardy"as being a laurel and hardy fan,but to my knowledge nothing has been recorded,

Maybe the live at tiffanys could be added and mixed for the jan berry anthology box set,remember the band were only together for 2 weeks before they done this show,its just goes to show how much time they all done to get the sound,as most bands nowaydays rehearse for at least 2 months maybe more,once again jan was doing what he done best and always gave his best

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
I found it,the Albim was gonna be called "jan and dean back on the scene"

Track list

1 Tinsel Town
2 Mother Earth
3 Magic of making love
4 Blow up Music
5 Flight Number 9
6 I m coming out
7 Look Out
8 Today I know my mind
9 A long way to go
10 High in the sky

According to mark passmores book,jan work on theses songs obsessively,i wonder where the track today i know my mind and what label was gonna release it,As these tracks were made around the early 70's i m gonna take a guess on Ode,
Most of  these tracks were written by jan and joan jacobs ,as together they wrote arround 10 tracks,

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »
Mark

Do you have an info on a new version of "Today i know my mind" which would have been released for jans planned album called "jan and dean back on the scene,"If you have access to jans files can you find out if this was a totally new song written by joan jacobs and jan berry or was this the same track from the carnival of sound???