Author Topic: Carnival of Sound - Official Release on Rhino Handmade  (Read 58441 times)

dutchie

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival of Sound - Official Release on Rhino
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »
i am plugging the release on my BLOG  :D Pitty its that expensive. That means i have to wait for it and buy it when released on Ebay  ;D

scooby1970

• Doré
  • Jan & Dean Researcher & Historian
    • View Profile
    • Jan & Dean Site
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
Bloody hell,thought it would have been a little cheaper then that,is it around £25 in the uk scooby

It works out around £30 minus a few pence on current exchange rates. Really expensive!

:) Mark

David Beard

• Warner Bros.
  • www.ESQuarterly.com
    • View Profile
    • Endless Summer Quarterly
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »
I don't quite understand the comparisons of Save For A Rainy Day and Carnival Of Sound as if the two are somehow interlocked… They're not. I think it would be interesting to combine the material of the two albums -- which I'll do for fun --- and make my very own J&D 1968 album.

Jan & Dean album #1 — Save For A Rainy Day
Yellow Balloon (single version)
Girl You're BLowing My Mind
Like A Summer Rain (single version)
Raindrops
Pocket Full Of Rainbows
Louisiana Man (Dean's version with quacks)
California Lullaby
Only A Boy
In The Still Of The Night
Yakety Yak
Stay
Summertime, Summertime

Jan & Dean album #2 — Carnival Of Sound
Carnival Of Sound
Vegetables
Hawaii
I Know My Mind
Laurel And Hardy
Mullholland
Love And Hate
Snowflakes On Laughing Gravy's Whiskers
Tijuana
Louisiana Man (Jan's version)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:15:02 PM by David Beard »

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
It's a shame Save A For A Rainy Day couldn't have been recorded in the big-studio system. That didn't happen, because Dean — not for lack of trying — wasn't allowed to record under Jan's Screen Gems account. So it was off to Joe's garage.

The Rainy Day masters on Sundazed suffer by comparison, fidelity-wise, to the new Carnival stuff on Rhino. A product of the recording process.

I love Save A For A Rainy Day , and can really imagine how much better it would sound had it been recorded in the "state of the art" of the era.

I've been listening to both albums a lot lately; and the more I listen to to Rainy Day, the more I appreciate it from a compositional and arrangement standpoint.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
The ship date for Carnival of Sound is February 22.

MichaelB

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »
Will the CD also be sold in stores?

Thanks,
Michael

owen

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 04:03:01 AM »
> It's a shame Save A For A Rainy Day  couldn't have been recorded in the big-studio system.

I completely agree.  The single version of Yellow Balloon was re-recorded in a "proper" studio, andf it is much better than the album version - improved arrangement (the piano break in te middle) and improved sound.

If only the rest could have been through this process too!

I love Save For A Rainy day, but the single version of Yellow Balloon and the Silver Summer re-recording of Like A Summer Rain offer tantalising glimpses of what might have happened if Dean's vision had been supported by the kind of studio facilities and musicians that Jan had at his fingertips.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:35 AM »
Rhino UK don't have the album on its website (not even as a forthcoming release.) I've emailed to ask if it will be released over here but no reply as yet.

scooby1970

• Doré
    • View Profile
    • Jan & Dean Site
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 04:09:37 AM »
My review of the new album has gone up on www.jananddean.moonfruit.com

scooby1970

• Doré
    • View Profile
    • Jan & Dean Site
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »
I've only had a quick chance to skip through the preview copy I recieved off Rhino, I didn't listen closely enough and got my stereo mixes wrong, will all be sorted soon plus full photos of the booklet and artwork! Trying to get a few things on the site at the moment in my limited time, thank you for pointing out the errors Mark... I'll read through the 16-page book when I get a chance and update a few things.

PS. The review has been update, and will be updated againshortly with more info and photos.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:28:16 AM by scooby1970 »

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »
Amazon UK are now advertising the album. No release date yet but you can sign up to be notified when it is available.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
I see the site scooby has made and its a great site,anyone in my book who takes time to help spread the jan and dean name is doing a great job,that includes Mark moore,dani from www.surfinagain.com ,Lori from the surfun fanclub,as it takes time and a lot of energy to run a web site or a fan club,,and i m sure you all with me will agree with me,

Wouldn t it be boring if everyone thought the same,all of us on the forum are passionate fans of both jan and dean and at time we differ after all this forum is a place to debate your side of the jan and dean story and that what makes this forum great,

so lets grab our board and ride the wild surf on the carnival of sound forum,

RobH

• Arwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:34 PM »
Well, this is very exciting. I have had copies of these songs for years. Getting a clean copy is a dream come true, one that I never thought that I would see. I have been absent from here for a long time. Nice to be back among you all.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:19 PM »
Some reference, for those who don't know . . . Carnival of Sound reflects what Jan Berry was up to in the studio while Brian Wilson was working on Smile/Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends with the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:15:20 PM by Mark A. Moore »

southcoastsurfer

• Arwin
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
Fantastic record package - Great artwork and even better mixes... and now I can hear the vocal tracks on Hawaii finally!! Is it possible for someone to upload the original lyrics?  I want to read and sing these great songs - my miming abilities just don't cut it. Thanks!