Author Topic: George Tipton -- How did he get involved with Jan & Dean?  (Read 2718 times)

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
George Tipton -- How did he get involved with Jan & Dean?
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
George Tipton, perhaps best known as producer, arranger, conductor for Harry Nilsson, worked with Jan Berry and Dean Torrance.  Mr. Tipton assisted with "Pop Symphony No. 1" and also with "Folk & Roll" getting some songwriting credits as well.

How was Mr. Tipton introduced to the duo and to what extent did he contribute to Jan & Dean?

Dean even created a cover for an album by George Tipton on Warner:

Is there an untold story here?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:43:48 PM by Ban n Bean »

Mark A. Moore

Re: George Tipton -- How did he get involved with Jan & Dean?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »

No untold story here . . .

George was a well-known arranger in Hollywood.

Jan was introduced to George when Jan came up with the idea for "Pop Symphony." They hit it off, and collaborated on that project.

Jan and George became friends, and worked a lot together. After "Pop Symphony," George collaborated with Jan as an arranger on Folk 'n Roll and Jan & Dean Meet Batman. George did some writing, as well.

George was also an arranger with Jan on the original Filet of Soul. In the '66 TV pilot, On the Run, that's George you see conducting the orchestra -- and he also did the incidental music for the show.

After Jan's accident, George (along with Bill Stafford) was Jan's main arranging collaborator on Carnival of Sound.

I've interviewed George. One of the greats from the Hollywood studio system.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: George Tipton -- How did he get involved with Jan & Dean?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »
Thank you for the reply!

I don't seem to hear his name much (in relation to Jan & Dean) and wondered about him.  He appears to play a sizable role role in the later Jan & Dean recordings yet not much seems to be written (or I'm looking in the wrong places).  In addition to Nilsson Mr. Tipton composed a lot of TV music.