Author Topic: Stereo Versions  (Read 2839 times)

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
Stereo Versions
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
Are the stereo versions included in the release the only stereo versions that were located? For example, there is no stereo version of "Laurel & Hardy" or "Yakety Yak." I specifically remember reading that there was no stereo version of "Only A Boy" prepared, but wasn't sure about the others.

Mark A. Moore

Re: Stereo Versions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »
The stereo versions are new.

"Yakety Yak" is indeed in stereo, not mono.

With "Laurel & Hardy," there wasn't an existing stereo mix that Andrew Sandoval was comfortable with.  He thought the four track needed to be re-synched with the eight track session for a better result . . . but they ran out of time.

Nevertheless, on the bonus version of "Laurel & Hardy" (with Jan's "la-la" vocal melody guide), you'll notice that the backing track is in stereo. If you really want to get a good idea of what's happening on "Laurel & Hardy," from an instrumental standpoint, that's the version to listen to. It's basically the de facto stereo version on this release.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:14:13 PM by Mark A. Moore »

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
My apologies on the stereo version of "Yakety Yak." I've only listened to that particular track once or twice. Why was the original mono version of that left off this collection?

It definitely makes sense to want the best sound, especially on a release this historic. And not including a stereo version of "Laurel & Hardy" leaves open the possibility of it being included on a rarities CD. Such as the way new stereo mixes accompany new Beach Boys compilations.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Has anyone heard the other Jan guide-melody versions?

I find it kind of thrilling hearing Jan's voice even in that context -- it's obviously him and it not only sounds pretty good, it clearly demonstrates Jan's direct involvement in the project (as if we needed any convincing).

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
I agree! It would be awesome to hear more of Jan's hands-on work with the album, including any session tapes that may still exist.