Author Topic: Reviews and Commentary  (Read 21581 times)

Mark A. Moore

Reviews and Commentary
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
Interesting to see what listeners on the Steve Hoffman board are saying about Carnival:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=206449&highlight=carnival+sound

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Views from other music lovers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »
The thread is interesting.  Always nice to hear that someone else is discovering Jan & Dean for the first time -- and it may have been the vinyl that did it!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Reviews and Commentary
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
Frpm popdose.com . . .

Carnival of Sound:
http://popdose.com/cd-review-jan-dean-carnival-of-sound/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Review — Jam Base
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
From jambase.com . . .

Carnival of Sound:
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/22014/Albums-of-the-Week-March-19-March-25-Beck-Truckers-Liars

Scroll down . . .

Vintage Stash Pick of the Week
Jan & Dean: Carnival of Sound  (Rhino Handmade)

When Jan Berry of the famous Southern California pop duo Jan & Dean smashed his Corvette into a parked truck going around Dead Man's Curve in 1966, he and partner Dean Torrence were in the embryonic stages of creating a new album they had dubbed Carnival of Sound.  And despite Berry's serious injuries, which included partial paralysis and a traumatic brain injury, Jan refused to give up on the LP, returning to the studio months after the crash with a batch of songs that would reflect a deeper, more experimental nature reflecting the teen idol's post-accident mindset.  Though still undeniably catchy and pure in its pop form, the music captured at these sessions, which incorporated such elements as sitar accents, backwards guitar playing, found sound effects and Wall of Sound style orchestration, reflected the psychedelic vibes of the burgeoning Sunset Strip scene that rendered the duo's shiny, happy sounds all but obsolete.  Sadly, by the time Carnival of Sound was ready for its 1969 release, the duo's label, Warner Bros., had shelved the project, allowing it to build up its legend as one of the all-time great "lost" albums of rock ‘n' roll.  That is until now.  Beautifully packaged and remastered, this definitive official version of Carnival of Sound features the complete mono album as it was intended for its initial street date, along with stereo mixes and some of Berry's initial demos and alternate mixes of such key original tracks as "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind" and "Laurel and Hardy."  You can really hear Jan Berry's absolute mastery as a producer on par with the likes of Phil Spector and David Axelrod – along with his capable utilization of such legendary Hollywood studio spaces as Gold Star Studios and Western Recorders and the world famous elite session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew – on their heart-piercing version of The Five Satins' "In The Still of the Night."  Here, Jan and Dean transplant the doo-wop classic from the streets of the Bronx to the beaches of the Pacific Ocean.  It's as if it had originated amidst a backdrop of surf and sunset all along, and unless you have a heart of ice it will stop you dead in your tracks.  Any fan of pure pop music - be it The Beatles, Big Star or the Beach Boys - owes it to his or her self to look into checking out this resurrected masterpiece stat.  (RH)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Reviews and Commentary
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »
Jan & Dean:
http://www.beachboys.com/jandean.html

Scroll down . . .

Mark A. Moore

Re: Beach Boys Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »
Ha! . . . There's nothing like a Beach Boys fanatic when it comes to Jan & Dean.

What does "over-ripe production flourishes" mean? . . . I'm thinking the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile and Wild Honey albums — recorded during the same time period as Carnival of Sound — could have used similar production flourishes.

How does the reviewer know whether a song calls for a sitar, or not? . . . Is he the sitar keeper?

"Overly busy production flourishes"? . . . Again, see the widely panned Beach Boys albums mentioned above.

"Jan & Dean's unshakable limitations as artists"?? . . . Uh, Carnival of Sound is a Jan Berry arrangement and production. Aside from the pre-accident "Only A Boy," Jan & Dean are not even performing on the album. Instead, Carnival of Sound is performed instrumentally by the top-flight Wrecking Crew — same guys who belatedly joined Brian Wilson on many a Beach Boys session — and the best studio singers in Hollywood, including Glen Campbell and Tom Bahler.

Opinons are fine . . . we all have them. And we all know that not everyone will like Carnival of Sound. But the above referenced review espouses an uninformed and stereotypical perspective from a Beach Boys fanatic.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:02:35 AM by Mark A. Moore »

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
I wonder why the author didn't review "Filet Of Soul"?

He's just expressing his honest opinions (I hope) on these CDs.  Maybe he likes them more than what the writing reveals -- apparently he went to the trouble to get them all.

I don't regret the "Carnival Of Sound" purchase at all and won't spend years wishing I had bought it when I had the chance.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:21:55 AM »
Well again, it's just a fan site.

These people aren't journalists or historians . . . (who, by the way, can also be equally misinformed).

I make these points simply as a counterbalance to those who might speak in broad generalizations, without really knowing what they're talking about — people mixing personal opinion with what they think their "peers" (fellow Beach Boys fanataics) would want them to say.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 05:03:04 AM »
I notice that on YouTube. You can always tell when a Beach Boy fanatic makes a comment on Jan & Dean. It's always very negative and misinformed. It's almost as if they think Jan & Dean are trying to take over the Beach Boys, which is crazy. I think they know that J&D were first and that it may be possible that Jan actually helped Brian a little bit,not just the other way around. It also must be horifying that "Surfin", the BBs first hit, had some J&D influence!!!
Why can't we all just get along?lol  For me, I'm glad Jan and Brian met. Rock and Roll is better because of it.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
I don't understand this "war" between J&D and the Beach Boys.  Brian Wilson has nothing but praise for Jan.  There are loads of songs that have Wilson & Berry credits.  If I recall Brian has stated that Jan's producing inspired Brian to self-produce.

Maybe some "sophisticated" fans and reviewers want to drive a wedge between the two but as I understand the facts, that wedge is a misrepresentation of history and does a disservice to both men.

I have no problem discussing or listening to Jan & Dean AND The Beach Boys.

Doc Smiley

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
 :)

I consider myself a huge Beach Boys fan...
and that has never stopped me from appreciating Jan & Dean and all the fine recordings that they have done over the years.

Mark A. Moore

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
Same here.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Vintage Vinyl News
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »
Jan and Dean's Long Lost Late-60's Album:
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2010/02/preview-carnival-of-sound-jan-and-deans.html

Vintage Vinyl News

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Blog — Lost albums: Jan and Dean’s "Carnival of Sound"
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Lost albums: Jan and Dean’s "Carnival of Sound":
http://blackswansongs.com/archives/390

Black Swan Songs — Blog

Admin