Author Topic: Reviews and Commentary  (Read 26206 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
    • jananddean-janberry.com
Casa Nueva — Heard ‘Round the Office, 3/8/2010
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
Heard ‘Round the Office, 3/8/2010:
http://www.casanueva.net/content/heard-%E2%80%98round-office-382010

Casa Nueva

Scroll down . . .

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Goldmine Magazine — Review
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
Goldmine Review:
http://www.goldminemag.com/article/Album_Reviews_King_Crimson_Elvis_The_Cult_The_Monkees_Jan_Dean_and_more/

Goldmine March 25, 2010

Jan & Dean
Carnival Of Sound
Rhino Handmade (RHM2 521476)
Grade: ★★★★★

Jan Berry’s Carnival Of Sound — a collection of music he finished in 1968 (after his near-fatal automobile accident on April 12, 1966) — is astonishing. Miraculously Jan would reenter the studio April 19, 1967. More than 20 months later, Berry would complete the album, and it would remain shelved until now.

Strong production, great mixes, and, in some cases, the J&D-style banter we’re accustomed to hearing — are all a part of this release. The enclosed booklet includes extensive liner notes, track annotations and poignant images.

Waiting 40-plus years to experience Carnival Of Sound is more than worth it. This album will close a previously mythic chapter and invigorate Jan Berry’s musical legacy. If you’re not a Jan & Dean fan, don’t be fooled. This is psychedelic pop at it best. To top it all off, Dean Torrence designed the front and back covers. www.rhino.com/handmade/HandmadePage/handmade-page
— David Beard

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Ear Candy - Real Detroit Weekly
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
Ear Candy - Carnival of Sound:
http://www.realdetroitweekly.com/content/article_6314.shtml

Real Detroit Weekly
April 7, 2010

Jan has become Dean . . . and a new track has materialized   :o

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
ALL MUSIC GUIDE - Review
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
All Music Guide - Carnival of Sound:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0nfpxzwsldae~T0

By Bruce Eder

Quote:

"And there are liner notes that put to shame almost any archival pop/rock release seen to date, in both their detail and underlying sense of wonder about the music."

From the Allmusic Website:

The AMG editorial staff, along with hundreds of expert contributors (all music fanatics in their own right), has made allmusic the most comprehensive music reference source on the planet. We are all dedicated to creating and maintaining the knowledgeable, spirited content that music lovers and industry professionals have come to expect from AMG.

ripplewine

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Candy - Real Detroit Weekly
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
Hahaha!  Brought to you by the "Reviewer Who Didn't Do The Required Reading" ;D 

At least he gave Carnival four stars, even though he didn't listen to it!  Maybe Dean pulled a fast one on us while he was producing it and we have to play it backwards to hear "Girl." 

This guy may very well be the same student I tutored who wrote in his term paper "To the south, colonies profited from another gift of the red man, tobacco, whose use and cultivation he taught in exchange for alcohol, religion, and syphilis."  ::)

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Candy - Real Detroit Weekly
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
I have to say as short as this review was, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Haha.

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Boys Fan Site
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
I would agree as well. I consider myself more of a "Brian Wilson" fan than a "Beach Boys" fan. But I love Jan & Dean just the same. As talented as each was on their own, I don't think their respective works would've been quite as amazing as they turned out to be without what they learned from each other.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile
Re: Beach Boys Fan Site
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »
It may be that many are fans of whoever The Wrecking Crew played for.   :) 

An incredible combination of singing, writing, arranging, producing, AND playing.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Reviews and Commentary
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
Lost Treasure Triumphantly Unearthed:

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/reviews/review-detail/5626

Reviewed by Terry Staunton

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: Record Collector Magazine - Review
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
If anyone is intrested there is a record collecter feb 1981 and there a section on jan and dean,it say 75p on the cover as i have a copy,but i m sure if you could find a back issue

Feb 1981 is the issue,well worth having as part of the jan and dean collection

Bernd from Germany

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Re: Record Collector Magazine - Review
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 02:34:59 AM »
Hello,

thank you for that Link

Best wishes

Bernd

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Reviews and Commentary
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »

Il carnevale dei suoni — (Carnival of Sound)

By Francesco Paolo Ferrotti

http://www.ondarock.it/speciali/jananddean_carnival.htm

In-depth article on the album. Running it through Google Translate will give you a good sense of what the author is saying.

Ban n Bean

• Warner Bros.
    • View Profile

Admin

• Administrator
  • Ode
    • View Profile
Reviews and Commentary
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 05:05:23 PM »

JAN & DEAN - “CARNIVAL OF SOUND”

Rhino Handmade (www.rhino.com) has released this much pondered, ambitious and ill-fated 1967 Jan & Dean project. Actually, Dean doesn’t sing [much] on the album. It’s a Jan Berry dream project. One song features his guide vocals. Other than that, we’re hearing studio artists and pals, as Jan oversees in the booth. Though he was battling the horrible physical effects of his “Dead Man’s Curve” car crash, Jan’s wizardry as a songwriter and producer remains intact. The stereo versions are especially expansive and captivating. Some bits were written or recorded pre-accident, but the bulk of the creation took place while Jan was struggling to get his injured brain functioning more fluidly. It’s amazing how much of his musical genius still shines through. Thank heavens, the project has been pieced together in this new form. “Carnival of Sound” has naturally been compared to the long lost “Smile” album from another surf music genius, Brian Wilson. “Carnival” plays as more of a grand experiment than a fully realized masterpiece. But it’s fascinating throughout. Dean Torrence’s gorgeously ‘60s-style album cover adds to the appeal. Fans will also appreciate the 16-page booklet. Cheers to Rhino for rescuing this important psych pop work from the dusty shelves. It’s available as a single CD or packaged with a vinyl album, in a hardbound gatefold jacket.

http://www.popcultureclassics.com/