Author Topic: Drag City  (Read 15516 times)

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
Drag City
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:18 AM »
When asked to name my favourite Jan and Dean song I usually go for Dead Man's Curve but auditing my listening over time I keep coming back to Drag City.
The driving beat (two drummers and great rhythm guitars) and the immaculate harmonies - plus some great lyrics - it sone of Jan's best arrangements and productions.
I love the way the harmonies build uo and the way Jan layers the vocals - especially his own is incredible.
Almost impossible to do justice live - this is an outstanding studio production.

Listening to the backgrounds vocals on the oddly named From Suf City to Drag City compilation you can tell Jan and the Matadors were having a blast. And I think you can hear that listening to the record.

Great! Truly great!

NateRuvin

• Liberty
    • View Profile
Re: Drag City
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:25:29 AM »
I totally agree. It's a masterpiece. The backing track sounds really heavy, even today. Double drums, guitars, basses, keys. It's brilliant. The harmonies and modulations are out of this world. Love both Jan & Dean's vocals on this one. Great backups by The Matadors (and Jan, Dean,) and Brian Wilson??)    It all culminates in one of the most exciting rock songs ever produced. Jan was advancing so quickly in 1963 it's insane. Everyone in Jan's team was so talented- Dean, Roger, Don, Brian, Lou, Wrecking Crew, etc --- but Jan was a genius. Those records were totally visionary and ahead of their time

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:25:29 AM »
Drag City was a masterpiece! Like you, I hardly ever name that one as my favorite, but I listen to it all the time. Great production!!

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:19:08 AM »
On my way home from the beach yesterday(a little cooler down there with the sea breeze) I popped in my CD and blasted Drag City. I have to admit, I always liked this song better than DMC. And I like Hot Stocker even better than both of those. But Drag City is one powerful song. The background vocals are top notch and Jan delivers another stellar vocal. Listen to the end of the song when his voice gets deep “goin’ to drag city runnin’ through now”. What a great sound.