Author Topic: 1966 concert  (Read 469 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
1966 concert
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
Someone posted on FB a story that he remembers a concert in April of 66. Jan and Dean with the Markets. He said only 100 people went. That surprises me. I know Jan and Dean were on a down turn right before the accident but they were only a year and a half removed from huge success and had a few top 30s in between. I guess kids had short memories back then

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 concert
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 04:16:36 AM »
Ok, I just found it in The Jan and Dean Record. April 5. Apparently, they were touring a lot. They had shows 3 or 4 nights in a row from Missouri to Ohio to Chicago. It was a Batman theme with the Markets.
What a life! Jan must've been miserable. All this and studying for Med School. and the kids were starting to lose interest. This had to be a tough period for Jan.

Spazzatron

• Dor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
I've thought about this before, and I think it would've had a significant impact on whether Jan & Dean continued into '67.  They were still a popular act and had a couple of Top Forty hits in '65, but their last entry in the Top Twenty had been 1964's Ride the Wild Surf.  To my thinking, regardless of how their television show was received by the public, if none of their new material could break into the Top 20 it would no longer be worth their time, and both Jan and Dean would probably move on.  They definitely had an opportunity to remake their brand and break back into the charts with their new show, but in early '66 they were still perceived as surf rock, which didn't help as that trend was losing interest.  The tv show could've helped to rebrand them as sunshine pop, promote new material, maybe bring in quality outside songwriters and increase their presence, all of which their act needed at this juncture.  Given that Popsicle hit #21 with no public support it was possible, but they needed the right material released at the right time or it just wasn't going to happen.  I've also read a story about Jan being incensed about J&D being placed beneath both Sonny & Cher and The Mamas & The Papas for their Hollywood Bowl appearance in '66, but this is the reality he was facing at the time of the accident.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:09:37 PM by Spazzatron »

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 04:51:21 AM »
Good points Spazzatron. At the time, Jan & Dean should have been ahead of Sonny and Cher and Mama's if you look at chart success historically. But 1966 was in transition and Jan and Dean were on the wrong end of that. Popsicle was certainly an indication that they still had potential for chart success in 66. I would think a TV show promoting Fan Tan and Hawaii would have put Jan & Dean back in the top 20 or even top 10. Who knows. but judging from their strained relationship at the time, I really don't think they would have lasted much longer anyway.

surferbee

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 02:14:01 AM »
It is all speculation of course. Jan and Dean were undoubtedly at a crossroads. Music was changing. The Beach Boys were changing. Whilst this was going on Jan was running down the Liberty contract and it showed in some of the music but there were signs that he was looking to a different future. 'Girl You're Blowing My Mind' was an insight into that. Of course the accident cut into all of that.
For me? Well Jan had been writing and recording since 1958 and seemed to be in for the long term if his medical training didn't take him away!
Jan - with or without Dean - would have needed to change - but he had a strong track record of doing that. The accident robbed us of ever knowing. Of course if Jan had been drafted that might have meant another ending altogether!