Author Topic: fun question about the movie "Christine"  (Read 141 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
fun question about the movie "Christine"
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:31:14 PM »
I've watched this movie several times. But this weekend it played and I caught something I've never noticed before. For those of you who don't know, Christine is about a car that possesses it's owner. Whenever a 50's song plays, it commences killing someone or whatever. lol

It never plays a Jan and Arnie or Jan & Dean song, but the lead character's name is Arnie and he is dating Leigh (pronounced Lee).

Could that be the director or writers way of including Jan and Arnie (Jenny Lee)???

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: fun question about the movie "Christine"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
I remember the movie and read the book also. The thing is, was the author Stephan King  a fan of both Jan & Arnie and Jan & Dean? It’s a long shot but who knows? He certainly grew up in that era, the 50’s and 60’s. I read almost all of his books since I’m a fan of horror movies.

Mark A. Moore

• AUTHOR
  • Arwin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »
Stephen King is my all-time favorite author, and Christine (1983) ranks among my favorite King novels, along with The Shining (1977) and Pet Sematary (1983).

Jan Berry and Jan & Dean are mentioned in the novel Christine. King quotes song lyrics at the beginning of each chapter . . . including "Surf City" (Chapter 5) and "Dead Man's Curve" (Chapter 49).

And King mentions Jan specifically in the "Author's Note":

“Lyrics quotes in this book are assigned to the singer (or singers, or group) most commonly associated with them. This may offend the purist who feels that a song lyric belongs more to the writer than the singer. What you have done, the purist might argue, is akin to ascribing the works of Mark Twain to Hal Holbrook. I don't agree. In the world of popular song, it is as the Rolling Stones say: the singer, not the song. But I thank them all, writers and singers - most particularly Chuck Berry, Bruce Springsteen, Brian Wilson and Jan Berry, of Jan and Dean. He did come back from Deadman's Curve.”Stephen King, from the Author's Note to Christine, 1983

(Beach Boys songs quoted include: "This Car of Mine," "Little Deuce Coupe," "Shut Down." "409," and "Custom Machine.")

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 05:04:32 AM »
Fantastic!! Well I guess that answers my question. No doubt about it in my mind. There is a connection to Jan and Arnie(Dean) by using the main characters names as a Jan & Arnie / Jenny Lee reference. Thanks for sharing that Mark!

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:15:05 AM »
Thanks for that info Mark. I guess it’s been 36 years since I read Christine. I forgot that Stephen King included all the rock references.