Author Topic: Jan and Dean on Beach Boys Sirius XM station  (Read 318 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
Jan and Dean on Beach Boys Sirius XM station
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:27 AM »
Recently, the BB station has played Mighty GTO and Freeway Flyer. They usually just play the songs with Wilson involvement. Any idea why they played those 2 songs?

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Jan and Dean on Beach Boys Sirius XM station
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »
The Beach Boys channel will play certain non BB songs. I've heard Chuck Berry as well as other artists that maybe had an influence on Brian. If its a Jan & Dean song, most likely Brian had some input. How great to hear those 2 J&D songs! I'm not sure why they were played either. Just hope more people will now open their ears to other lesser known songs we all love. Keep playing them Sirius!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
Yes I agree. keep playing them. The BB station plays all the Jan Berry/ Brian Wilson collaborations too. But to my knowledge, there was no BW involvement on Freeway Flyer and Mighty GTO. Also, they've played Little Old Lady. The connection there would probably be that the BB's covered it.

I heard Surf City a couple of days ago and they introduced it by saying Jan & Dean used the Wrecking Crew for this song and convinced Brian to do the same. So that was cool!!

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
They played Honolulu Lulu. I think they are respecting Jan Berry's influence on Brian Wilson. That's awesome!

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
Thanks Sirius for playing Jan & Dean songs that not everyone is familiar with! Dean was on the Beach Boy's channel the other day and explained what went on with recording Barbara Ann with the guys. They played the unreleased session (now released on the new unplugged Party album)with Brian asking Dean to double his vocals with him. Also, somebody yells out for Dean to sing in key. He sounded fine to me!