Author Topic: Jan's love of his fans  (Read 3447 times)

suee56

• Arwin
    • View Profile
Jan's love of his fans
« on: June 25, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
Just to say how much Jan loved his fans, there is an article by  security personnel at several Jan and Dean concerts, who makes a point of saying that after the concerts, Jan posed for photo's and signed autographs for fans for over two hours, and that Dean was nowhere to be seen and never did turn up to do the same, obviously Dean did not care about fans.   

positivemusic

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: Jan's love of his fans
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
I don't think just because some people didn't see Dean or he wasn't out as much as Jan, that that means he didn't care about the fans. I'm not an apologist for either of them, they both had huge egos (perhaps in different ways), but I think this is at least a mischaracterization. That's like saying Brian Wilson or Bruce Johnston don't care about fans because don't tend to care for meet and greets, though, Brian seems to hate them, while Bruce has extremely off days on occasion.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
i ve read that Jan and Dean went to the local radio station to promote the show,and after Dean went to speak to the sponser. Maybe thats why he wasn't always there.

Spazzatron

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:20:50 AM »
I don't think it's fair to say that Dean didn't care about the fans.  It's certainly not obvious to me that he didn't based solely on an unwillingness to pose for pictures or sign autographs, especially since Jan was also running a side business after the concerts selling merchandise.  Dean might very well have been too busy running the business operations from behind the scenes to take that amount of time after the concerts, and/or wanted to put some distance between the main operation and Jan's business.  Jan obviously cared about his fans, and interacting with them meant a great deal to him but I think it's a false comparison.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:05 AM »
I agree. Plus, that type of thing isn't for everyone. It doesn't mean he didn't care.

maryw7

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
Hi ...all of this reminds me of my thinking ...some of the things crossing my mind when I first was blessed to see them in 1995 ...anyone whose read my posts from back then will know it all mattered to me.

I got to see lots of special things.  Dean didn't want to rain on Jan's parade