Author Topic: New Beach Boys release  (Read 1291 times)

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
New Beach Boys release
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:59 AM »
I can't wait for the new Capital release of the Philharmonic Orchestra backing the Beach Boys hits. But don't forget who came up with this concept in 1965!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCql50CDwVY

Surfermike

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: New Beach Boys release
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
The new Beach Boy's release does sound great. I remember when Bruce Johnston put out a symphonic CD about 20 years ago or so of BB music. I thought it was pretty good actually. Yes, Jan came up with this idea 53 years ago with his Pop Symphony. I don't think a lot of teenagers understood it at that time. Probably sounded too much like mom and dad's music to them. I finally bought the LP back in the early 80's. I didn't think it was too bad. Haven't heard it in awhile, but I remember Linda and Surf City being my favorite. It's A Shame To Say Goodbye was also great come to think of it and sounded the closest to the original song. Hope The Beach Boys have a successful release  with their new album.

NateRuvin

• Liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the new album, because I loved Bruce Johnston's Symphonic Sounds CD from the late 90's. Good stuff! Pop Symphony is what started it all though! Jan, underrated as always!! He was so ahead of his time.

Spazzatron

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
Wasn't Pop Symphony intended more as a guided example, I thought Jan's real interest was producing sheet music so that marching bands and kids learning to read music and play instruments in a school band could learn to play along to the arrangements?  Besides the fun of working on scoring and arrangements with George Tipton.