Author Topic: what c o s. Track?  (Read 2089 times)

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
what c o s. Track?
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:02:39 AM »
if you could choose a song,you wish jan would have re recorded in the 70s from the c o s session, what track would you choose. I have to go with laurel and hardy.

Spazzatron

• Doré
    • View Profile
Re: what c o s. Track?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:32:02 AM »
I'm going to take a different tack on this, I'd really like to have heard  Jan finish Blow My Mind pre-accident.  It would also be fun to hear a demo or rough lyrical take from '66, even if it wouldn't sound all that different from the version that was completed (although without the overdubbed effects, which I think detract from the song).

I read somewhere once that Laurel & Hardy was written around the time that the cartoon was in production and may have been intended for submission as the intro theme.  I don't know if that's true or not but it sounds like one.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:35:20 AM by Spazzatron »

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:42:14 AM »
i d also love to hear any demos of blowing my mind. To me that should have been the lead single from the 3 released. I think jan spent to much time on it. I m sure that would have put jan and dean in the charts.

jdman

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
Track # 29 on the COS release is my favorite. The backing track from Girl, You're Blowing my Mind. Could've been so good!!

Spazzatron

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »
Track # 29 on the COS release is my favorite. The backing track from Girl, You're Blowing my Mind. Could've been so good!!

yeah, definitely.  BMM sounds like it would've been a great mid-Sixties rocker, and a good choice as a single to follow-up I Found A Girl.  That could really have helped define the new direction the act was going in, post-surf rock, and it seems like the song with the most commercial potential out of anything Jan worked on following Folk-n-Roll (although I really like Flight of the Batmobile, too).

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
I'd also like to see an outtake of extra tracks from c o s. I have the collector series vo 8 and 9. And vo 9 has 13 different version of blowing my mind, from the warner session. Would also like davy jones singing laurel and hardy. Come on rhino lets have these tracks released.

Spazzatron

• Doré
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:11:27 AM »
I'm assuming the different versions of BMM are working versions in various states of progress and not completely different productions, is there a significant difference in lyrics, instrumentation or vocals on any of them?  This one had a lot of potential, the basic track is a good mid-Sixties rocker that needed some excellent lyrics and production flourish to make it shine.  I don't know if it would have gotten the attention it need or not though, I Can't Wait to Love You also had a really great instrumental track but suffers from sub-par lyrics.  I also don't think Jan is able to pull the vocal off very well.

I know the Davy Jones version of Laurel & Hardy was released on a Monkees collection already, I'm guessing there is not enough interest in an expanded COS release but maybe one day a digital release could happen.

1Jay1

• Ode
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:31:05 AM »
i cant wait to love you. Was the instrumental on the save for a rainy day,re named rain clouds long gone. Bmm working tracks correct, how about a duluxe 2cd of c o s with bonus track, could work. We just had the second wave with bonus tracks.